skip to main content

For International Travel

What do I need?

The first step to traveling to the U.S. is to determine if you need a Visa or if you are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Travelers from VWP countries must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval before travel.

Do I Need a Visa or ESTA?

For visitors in need of a Visa

If you need a visa, you will need to apply for the right kind of visitor visa. It is normally a B1* visa:

Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference for a business visit

*Please check current visa categories and requirements with the U.S. State Department.

Visa visitors must have a machine-readable passport and schedule an in-person interview with the U.S. State Department consulate or embassy. The application process varies by location. Please contact your local consulate for the most accurate information.

It can take up to four months to get an interview date. Please contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible to request an interview date.

If your visa application is denied, please inform ASCE in writing that you wish to cancel your registration. You should attach a copy of your visa denial.

A full refund will be issued if the cancellation notice is received by May 22, 2024. No refunds will be given for cancellation requests received after the deadline May 22, 2024. Send cancellation requests to Registrations or fax to +1 (866) 902-5593.

Please file your visa paperwork as far in advance as possible to be eligible for a refund.

ASCE cannot intervene on behalf of the invitees with the Embassy or U.S. Consulate via fax, phone, surface mail, or email. The U.S. State Department provides information on traveling to the United States regarding passports, international travel, and visas.

Letter of Invitation

Registration must be completed and paid in full before a Letter of Invitation may be requested. A copy of your registration payment receipt must accompany your request.

Please be ready to provide your complete official name, date of birth, physical address, email address, and passport number (if available). If any additional information is needed for the letter issuance, you will be notified by e-mail in response to the submitted request.

Request a Letter of Invitation

The Letter of Invitation will ONLY be sent by email to the email address that you provide. The Letter of Invitation cannot be emailed or sent to the Embassy or U.S. Consulate.

If you have any questions about Letters of Invitation, please contact us at [email protected]

Visa Waiver Program and ESTA

Travelers from VWP countries must have valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval before travel. U.S. Customs and Border Protection will handle emergencies on a case-by-case basis.

ESTA requires all international travelers from VWP countries to register in an online database. Travelers from VWP countries must complete an application on the ESTA website.

Apply for ESTA

Travelers are not required to complete an I-94W form before each trip. The ESTA requirement does not affect U.S. citizens returning from overseas, people from VWP countries traveling on a valid U.S. Visa, or travelers from non-VWP nations.

jump to top